Wednesday, May 09, 2007

New private servers

I've not been blogging much over the last two days. Actually, I hadn't been doing anything else much except for setting up a new server. The existing hosting contract that I had with a Malaysian service provider is expiring this weekend. So, I made the decision to move things over to another hosting provider.

As a result of this move, I had to spend a significant amount of time setting up the new server. The new server uses a private server instead of the shared hosting plans that I used to use. Therefore, I had to set up a lot of stuff. In the end, these are the servers that I had set up.

  • Postfix - for email delivery of the whole domain.
  • Dovecot - for remote email retrieval using IMAP/POP3.
  • MySQL - for the local database.
  • LightTPD - for the web server.
And to facilitate remote administration, I had to set up a few other web based applications as well.
And for front end interfaces, I chose to set up a few useful web applications as well.
  • SquirrelMail - for a web mail interface.
  • Drupal - for the main website content management system.
In the end, it took me about 2 days to get everything set up properly. Now all that's left is to populate the content. This, I will gradually do as I make more progress with my chip designs. I think that I will use my new website to handle my chip designs. I've set up the appropriate services for design releases as well as issue tracking.

The email works very well as well. I have only begun to realise how much spam actually gets sent to the server. Previously, all my email was handled by the service provider. Now that I'm doing it myself, I see all kinds of spam email being rejected by my mail server. Legitimate emails get through though. So, that's working fine for me.

No comments: