Thursday, August 30, 2007

Yea, got rid of the .NET books!

Finally, I managed to get rid of a bunch of .NET books that I have in my possession. If you're asking me how I came to own several .NET books, I got them free from Microsoft, when I attended one of their events at Microsoft Research. Microsoft Research, Cambridge is located right next door to my lab. I saw something interesting one day, and I thought that I should attend to see what's up.

The books are:

  • Introducing Microsoft .NET (softback) David S Platt
  • Applied Microsoft Windows .NET Framework Programming (softback) Jeffrey Richter
  • Programming Microsoft .NET (hardback) Jeff Prosise
I had at first tried to sell the book off in Cambridge for cheap. I advertised twice on our local UCAMs newsgroup but nobody was interested. Then, I tried to give it away, but nobody seemed to want it either. I offered it to my department library, which promptly thanked me, but turned down my offer. Then I offered it to the Betty & Gordon Moore Library. They decided that they would want 2 of the books, but not the 3rd one. It seems that they already have a copy of the 3rd book and the University Library policy is not to duplicate existing books (now I understand why it's sometimes to difficult to find copies of books in the UL). But in the end, I managed to convince them to take all 3 books. They told me that they will help me get rid of the 3rd book by giving it away to some other College or University.

All in all, I'm just glad to be rid of these books. I don't need them and I don't know anyone else who needs them. From my experience, I would assume that not many people actually need them anyway.

No comments: