Friday, December 29, 2006

Pentax K100D


I'm quite certain that I'm going to get the K100D as my next camera instead of the D40. However, I'm not yet certain where to get it from. I've always liked to use Jessops as a benchmark. They can sell me the K100D at GBP 379 (with discount code) from the online store. There are a couple of other online stores that will do 356 (including next day delivery). For 389, pixmania will throw in some 2500 mAH batteries and charger.

I've also been checking out the reviews on the Pentax SR mechanism. The manufacturer claims a 2.5-3 stop improvement using the SR mechanism. However, online user reviews suggest that it can easily do a 2 stop improvement. Either way, the improvement in the samples are extremely obvious. So, this is a *required* feature.

So, the main question now is, where do I get it from. I won't need to get any additional memory cards as I already have 2Gb from my current camera. I will need some battteries though, as I only have some old 1300 mAH ones (along with a charger for the 2500 mAH ones). This will cost an additional 20 or so from jessops. I might also want to get a bag. However, this might not be necessary.

Another question will be when to get it. I'm going skiing in early January. So, if I'm going to get it soon, I should try to get it before I leave. Most websites do a standard "next day" delivery option. So, that should not be too big of a problem. Pentax has also announced that they will be merging with Hoya next year.

* image from pentax.co.jp *

No comments: