Thursday, March 06, 2008

of chocolates...

Oh my! Where have all the tasty Belgian chocolates gone to? There's only one more left in the photo. I lie. There's actually three more left, but by the time anyone reads this, chances are, there's going to be only one left. The chocolates were good, mind you. Thank you again!

Personally, I never had much chocolate as I was growing up. In fact, I have never had much of anything sweet at all. For some reason, I had never developed a sweet tooth as a child. I had no particular craving for sweets, which was a good thing. But I do have memories of placing milk chocolates behind the fridge in order to melt it. So, I'm sure that I did like chocolates.

For much of my life, chocolates came in two varieties (with and without nuts) but only in one colour: milk chocolate brown. It wasn't till I was much older that I realised that you could buy white and dark chocolates. In fact, I had just recently found out that you could actually buy chocolate with specific amounts of cocoa content in them. These are usually used for baking but there's nothing wrong just eating them direct. As you can tell, my knowledge of chocolates has been extremely basic.

However, I do like chocolate drink. I don't drink coffee. So, whenever I go out with anyone to a coffee place, I always end up ordering hot chocolate. At one time, during my silly undergrad days, I drank nothing but Milo with cold milk. It was during this time that I discovered that you could actually dilute the powder in milk if it was cold enough. I was too lazy to boil water each time I wanted a drink and the powder refused to dilute itself in cold water. Don't ask me how it works, but it works!

But for some reason, I have never quite liked chocolate ice cream. But that's probably just because I don't normally buy expensive chocolate ice cream. With regular quality ice cream, the chocolate flavours are very dilute and end up tasting more like ice, than cream. However, I do like ice cream coated in chocolate. I like the feeling of biting into the frozen chocolate coating and feeling it crunch in my mouth. Yum!

So, although I have enjoyed various chocolaty products in life, I have not really been a chocolate connoisseur. However, it is never too late to start and I think that I will try to indulge in it a little more. Good chocolates taste sinfully good.

No comments: