Sunday, February 11, 2007

What is the best company to work for?


Fortune had recently released it's list of the top 100 best companies to work for in the US and Google made No. 1 in it's debutant appearance on the list. Google has always been on my list. I've always considered applying for a job there after I graduate and people have always asked me: Why? My answer has always been: The Good Food (tm)! And it seems that I'm not alone.

The article lists a few reasons why people choose to work at Google. First, it's the free gourmet food, which is "uniformly excellent" according to the article. Even the Fortune writer for the article could only agree. Noobs to Google (called Noogles) will inevitably "put on the 'Google 15' when confronted with all the free food". Friends who know me will understand how much importance I actually place on good food. There is no point in making all the money in life if you cannot even enjoy a good meal.

Second, the facilities on campus are excellent and I'm not talking about technical work facilities. You can "do your laundry, drop of your dry cleaning, get an oil change, have your car washed, work out in the gym, attend exercise classes, get a massage, study a foreign language, get a hiarcut, get a medical checkup and get a personal concierge to arrange dinner reservations". Well, if they actually provide a full body massage, there's nothing much else that I can ask for in this world.

Then, comes all the other things like the people, remunerations, environment and what nots. So, I guess that I will certainly try to apply for a job there after I graduate. I'm happy to note that several other companies that I was planning to apply for are also in the Top 100, which is a Good Thing (tm).

No comments: