Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Is the Malaysian economy improving?


I don't really know. The government had recently released some statistics to show that our economy is improving. However, they had essentially only released half the side of the statistics by leaving out the debt statistics.

A wise man once told me something very important. If you want to know the economic situation of a country, the clearest indicator is the crime rate. When people are prosperous and happy, the crime rate is low. When the people are poor and depressed, the crime rate is high. It makes perfectly logical sense.

So, if the crime statistics of Malaysia is anything to go by, it has increased a lot in the last year. And the only conclusion that I can draw from this is that the economy is not doing well. People are dying in vain from stupid petty crimes. It is becoming less safe to live in Malaysia now.

I love my country and it saddens me to note this latest development. I certainly hope that my family stays safe. My sister has just bought a new house and is moving into it later this year. I'm a little worried about her. I'm worried about my ageing parents as well. My mum used to fight off snatch thieves (bless her bravery!). Hope that everyone stays safe.

No comments: