Saturday, December 23, 2006

Work Progress


I've decided to take a short hiatus from my research work. I've just not been making much progress. It might be good to take a short break from bashing my head against the wall to do something else. One of the many projects that I've got to finish before I graduate is the AE18. It is a open source clone of the Microchip PIC18 microcontroller.

I did this as a short project right after I finished my undergraduate finals. I had set out with two objectives for this project: (1) to iron out the necessary steps to design a microprocessor and (2) to compare the difference between bi-directional and tri-stated busses. I accomplished both objectives in under a fortnite. However, I was never quite satisfied with the finished product even though it has been used in many places, include at North Carolina State University.

So, I wonder how long it'll take me the second time around. I'm planning to make a perfectly compatible core this time around. The objective will be to make it architecturally compatible with the PIC18. The current version is only software compatible, but not architecturally compatible. Why am I bothered to do this? Well, it's just unfinished business and I do not like loose ends. So, I'm just going to complete a perfectly functional new AE18.

Also, a few of us have decided to queue up outside King's Chapel to listen to their choir tomorrow. I do hope that it does not get too cold nor wet tomorrow. A day of fresh air and sunshine will hopefully do me some good. It's just one of the things to do before graduation. Listen to the world famous King's choir sing on Christmas Eve.

No comments: