Sunday, December 24, 2006

King's Chapel Christmas Eve Service


Interesting experience today. We had decided to queue up outside King's Chapel for their Christmas Eve service today. We had agreed to meet outside King's Chapel at 8:00am. However, when I woke up, my clock already showed 8:35am!!! So, I quickly called up my friends to let them know that I was coming, and rushed there. Luckily it was not that crowded yet.

The weather forecast said that the temperature today would be between 3-6C. So, I only went out in my splashtop. About 2 hours into the queue, I started to feel really cold. Our place in the queue was such that the wind kept blowing across us. So, I had to borrow a fleece from YiJin to stay warm.

However, it was good that I wore my splashtop, as I met another former wyvern boatie. He was from the 1953 batch. He told us that he has rarely missed the King's Chapel service and that he has been here for over 40 times. He also told us that this is probably one of the warmest ones. We talked a bit about what he used to do and it ended there. Nice old fellow.

After the head count, we took turns to leave the queue. First, the girls went to Starbuck's to have some coffee. After that, us guys went to Nero for some hot drinks as well. I took this opportunity to go home and change. Then, we continued to wait until they started letting us in at about 2pm.

We got to sit inside the chapel, which was a good thing. And we each got a little souvenir booklet printed by CUP. The booklet contains the lessons and charols that were sung during the service. I couldn't any of the carols except the last two, because most of them were too obscure for me to know. I'm keeping the booklet. It's the only thing that I have to show for waiting half a day in the cold. That and this picture.

It was a wonderful experience though. The King's Choir was splendid. When they started singing, I felt a nice warm feeling wash over me. And throughout the rest of the service, the charols were good. There was even 1 German and 2 French carols. I tried my best to translate the French ones, but I could only get about 2/3 of it translated. Not too bad lar, translating while singing it.

Oooh.. Merry Christmas Everyone!!!

No comments: