Sunday, May 28, 2006

Changing my PhD Topic

After much trashing around in the dark, I've finally decided to change my PhD
topic.. Due to a lack of resources here, I've found that I would not be able
to accomplish much in my current topic.. So, instead of getting a half-baked
PhD, I've decided to change my topic..

I've spoken to my supervisor and he has agreed to the change.. He has also
been sympathetic to my reasons.. I'm hoping to be able to identify two useful
topics and run them side-by-side for 3 months to see which one has more
premise..

He has noticed that my output has gone down after the 1st year, when most of
my useful output came from.. I've also noticed that I've not performed as
well as I'm used to.. I'm used to designing large scale software/hardware
designs in a much shorter time.. Although it's not a fair comparison, but
it's just that I'm not used to the slow pace..

So, what will my new topic be?? The criteria the I've identified are: (1)
Non-dependent on 3rd party cooperation (2) High potential commercial value
(3) Can be finished within my left over time limit.. There seems to be a
limited number of topics that fit the bill.. So, I'm sorting them out..

Hopefully, I'll be able to identify a useful topic within the week.. In the
meantime, I've got to prepare for my Bye-Fellowship interview and other
stuff..

cheers..

No comments: