Wednesday, June 06, 2007

If I were to buy a notebook tomorrow!

If I were to buy a new notebook computer tomorrow, I would most likely purchase the HP 6715b. The price has just dropped to under 640 quid. With the 100 pounds cashback from HP, it will cost less than it's actual ex VAT price!

For the cheap price of 540 quid, it is an extremely full featured notebook computer. The features that make it stand out from the rest of the notebooks in the same price range are:

  • AMD X2 TL-60 processor
  • 2Gb of RAM
  • 160Gb of harddisk space
  • 1680x1050 15.4" screen
It also has a lot of other features that are fairly standard for a notebook in it's price range. However, it uses the latest M690T chipset from AMD with a built in X1250 graphics processor. The only potential problem would be Linux support on the notebook. From some initial research, it seems that this new chipset isn't fully supported in the Linux kernel yet. Certain features need to be disabled in order to allow it to work. However, I'm certain that this issue will be ironed out in the next few weeks.

I expect the price of AMD based notebooks to drop even further soon. AMD had recently announced price cuts for it's line of processors, including the Turion X2 line. So, there is certainly more reason to hang back and wait for the prices of notebooks to fall even further. If this notebook ever goes under the 500 quid price point, I would probably snap it up without a second thought. That means that I'd only need to hunt for an additional 10% discount.

UPDATE@2115: I just found a way to get this great notebook at 525 quid! Man, I'm getting closer! Need to dig around a bit more.

No comments: