I've not been blogging much over the last two days. Actually, I hadn't been doing anything else much except for setting up a new server. The existing hosting contract that I had with a Malaysian service provider is expiring this weekend. So, I made the decision to move things over to another hosting provider.
As a result of this move, I had to spend a significant amount of time setting up the new server. The new server uses a private server instead of the shared hosting plans that I used to use. Therefore, I had to set up a lot of stuff. In the end, these are the servers that I had set up.
- Postfix - for email delivery of the whole domain.
- Dovecot - for remote email retrieval using IMAP/POP3.
- MySQL - for the local database.
- LightTPD - for the web server.
The email works very well as well. I have only begun to realise how much spam actually gets sent to the server. Previously, all my email was handled by the service provider. Now that I'm doing it myself, I see all kinds of spam email being rejected by my mail server. Legitimate emails get through though. So, that's working fine for me.