Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Standard Operating Procedure - Passive Reaction

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/12/26/nation/20061226161759&sec=nation

I had just read the article above. And it seems that, as per usual, our government is closing the gate after the buffaloes have left the pen. From earlier reports, I was under the impression that we had a disaster management policy in place. I assumed that this was true as we had a National Disaster and Relief Management Committee, chaired by our DPM.

I'm surprised that this committee *did not* have a proper disaster management policy in place. So, sometimes, one must wonder about what the committee has been up to, in between fine meals at wonderful 5* hotels. I do not understand the reason why our disaster management policy is only being formulated now, after more than 100,000 people were displaced by floods.

I can understand that governments everywhere are slow. It's the nature of bureaucracy. However, one would think that at least a *policy* would be in place by now. The details can be worked out by the functionaries who work under the committee. As for the Hyodo Framework, it has 5 main bullet points.

http://www.unisdr.org/eng/hfa/hfa.htm

I certainly hope that the government can come up with detailed emergency response plans before the next disaster hits. I wonder if the government has been reading the fengshui preductions for 2007. It's supposed to be an extra turbulent year next year, not that I believe these things.

No comments: